There have been some questions recently regarding who can drive or ride a HVS & CVS registered vehicle.

The NSW RTA advise that as the vehicle is registered in NSW, albeit conditionally, anyone holding a valid licence which the NSW RTA recognise and is suitable for the vehicle concerned can operate the vehicle with the registered owner’s permission. The rules pertaining to L and P plate drivers and riders naturally apply. There is no NSW RTA requirement for that person to be a member of the Primary Club which issued the HVS & CVS 1259 form. If any individual Club has by laws to the contrary then those by laws prevail. Again this is a matter for the Clubs to handle and decide on their particular needs. The CMC will not intervene in such things. The Club concerned has to make their own decisions.

New rules have just been issued by the Dept of Fair Trading regarding Incorporated Associations. As far as I can see they make things much easier to handle with less paperwork etc. They have been posted to all known Public Officers of Clubs so if you have not received them please contact the Department as either your Public Officer’s details are out of date or some other problem needs sorting. And may I again tell you that if you are an Incorporated Association you must submit an annual return. At least one Club we have heard about has been de registered and fined for failing to do so over several years. And recent changes in the NSW RTA mean that no Incorporated Association status means no HVS & CVS approval. or phone 13 32 20.

Public Liability Insurance is something that all Clubs should hold. It is not compulsory these days as the Department of Fair Trading has dropped that from the latest rules for Incorporated Associations. Many Clubs go without, as the costs are too high for what seems to be a minimal risk. I always quote the example of a Club display where the banner is erected. That falls over and hits someone on the head with dire consequences. Imagine the difficulty for the committee if the Club is sued and there is no insurance cover. Loss of assets by the President and others is a possibility.

Coverage can be obtained from several Brokers including TCIS in Adelaide, and CAMS. Many Clubs think that CAMS are only for car racing Clubs however their insurance covers all Clubs, no matter if they race or not. Later this year CAMS will come out with a package for non racing Clubs which will be very competitively priced. I declare my interest in this as I am the Chair of the CAMS Marque Touring and Enthusiasts Commission or MTEC. I took on this role to gain benefits for the non racing Clubs. It has been a long battle to get things approved as change is always resisted. I hope that when you see the greatly reduced costs on offer with a $100 M coverage from a very substantial company, you will see that benefits have been gained.


Terry Thompson OAM